Program #243 Interpreting The Orlando Shooting – 6/26/2016 Synopsis
In this program, I begin by discussing how people view events through their previously developed world-view. For some, the Orlando shooting means more gay rights, for others it means limit Muslim immigration, and for others it means repeal the Second Amendment. Events are subject to many interpretations. Jesus cased out demons. The disciples understood to mean that He was the promised Messiah. The Pharisees thought it meant Jesus had a demon.
I then go on to explain how the Scriptures would have us view the Orlando tragedy. It was evil punishing evil. It was contributory negligence.
In Luke 13, the people wanted Jesus to comment on two tragedies that happened in Jerusalem. The people wanted to hear who was the victim and who was responsible? Jesus made an unexpected interpretation of the event – Examine your own moral accountability! “Unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”
Scripture References: Matthew 9:34; Joshua 4:6-7; Revelation 9:20-21; Psalm 119:105; Psalm 34:21; Proverbs 5:22, 8:36, 1:32; Jeremiah 2:19; Proverbs 11:3-5; Habakkuk 2:7; Isaiah 47:11; Proverbs 4:14-15; Proverbs 5-6; Luke 13:1-5; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Romans 6:23
Similar Programs on the Topic of Ethics
- #184 God Works, We Work
- #67 "The Christian Work Ethic
- #255 The Lesser of Two Evils - Part 2
- #234 Christian Philosophy of Sports
- #202 Listener Questions, Part 2
- YouTube #136 – Police use of Deadly Force
- Radio Program #465 – Police Use of Deadly Force
- Radio Program #469 - Why the Political Lies?
- #249 The Sabbath & Blue Laws
- Radio Program #407 "Postmodernism vs God"