In a recent program about the Second Amendment (Program #332), I mainly address this issue of the right to bear arms for self-defense, but I said nothing about the use of arms to overthrow tyrannical government.
The question listeners asked is this: “If Christians are to obey magistrates (Romans 13:1), how can the second amendment be a Christian ethic?” “And if is not a Christian ethic, how can we support the Second Amendment?”
The answer is that the Bible sometimes sanctions the overthrowing of government. After covering a number of Biblical examples, I explain the Biblical criteria for illegitimate government to obey and illegitimate government to overthrow.
The YouTube version is a longer exposition of the issue and includes the segment “That Which God Hates and That Which God loves.”
Scriptural References: Luke 22:36; 1 Samuel 26:9-11; Exodus 12; Romans 9:17, 13:2; I Kings 11:31, 12:24; 2 Kings 9:3; 2 Chronicles 25:27, 33:23-25, 23:21; Hebrews 11:33-34; Hebrews 5:4;
1 Samuel 25:10
Similar Programs on the Topic of Political Activism
- #182 Reviving America #2
- #147 Republicans & The Social Issues
- #283 Christianity & Protests
- #334 When to Overthrow Government
- #140 BridgeFest Message - Philippians 1:28
- #161 Politics or Conversion
- YouTube #135 – Who are the Rioters – Part 2
- YouTube #3 The Benedict Option Heresy
- #98 Changing the Culture
- Radio Program #461 – Who are the Rioters?