Program #167 “How Should the 7,000 Then Live? – 1/11/2015 – Synopsis
Paul, in teaching about the work of God in his own day, writes in Romans 11:2 – “Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah?” Apparently God’s words to Elijah hold a great theological significance which Christians often miss. God’s radical message to Elijah was that there were 7,000 citizens in Northern Israel who had not bow the knee to Baal. In an age where everyone was following the spirit of the age, a remnant did not follow the licentiousness of Baal worship. The 7,000 become for us a timeless example of how we should live for God in a nation given over to evil.
If you could go back in time and speak to the 7,000, what would you say to encourage them? What truth might they have not seen or understood? As we often fail to see the big picture, we can be sure the 7000 also had myopic vision. They probably wondered why, despite all of their efforts, the nation would not repent.
I discuss a few truths which the 7,000 needed to keep in mind. Stepping into their shoes reminds us how we should live today.
1. They needed to stand firm against Baal worship in a day when accommodation might have seemed like the way to win the Baal state.
2. They needed to realize they were in a dispensation of God
3. They needed to realize they could have a witness for God even if the government was demonic.
4. They needed to remember to not be intimidated by the world or embarrassed over their small size, for they were the true Israel.
5. They needed to realize the time was short for the ungodly, and for their own time of trials.
6. They needed to live with joy as if the victory had already been won.
Romans 11:2-5; Matthew 7:13-14; Isaiah 54:5; Jeremiah 31:32; Hosea 2:16-17; Ephesians 1:10, 3:2; Colossians 1:25; 1 Corinthians 9:17
Similar Programs on the Topic of Christian Activism
- #94 "Watchmen on the Wall"
- #50 The Wisconsin Protests
- YouTube #151 – The Theology of Overthrowing Government
- #102 Why is the Church Silent about Same-sex Marriage
- #131 Standing to Serve
- #496 – The Political vs. The Spiritual solution
- #161 Politics or Conversion
- YouTube #2 - Christianity & Protests
- #117 The Message of Judgment
- #56 Hide for a Little While