Synopsis: Program #135 5-30-2014 “Secession from the Union”
The prophet Jeremiah wished he could leave his people. “Oh that I had in the desert a wayfarer’s lodging place; that I might leave my people and go from them! For all of them are adulterers, an assembly of treacherous men” (Jeremiah 9:2).
At times we have all longed for a place that was free from immorality and economic injustice. Much of this desire is the Christian’s natural tendency to “look for a city which has foundations whose architect and builder is God,” and “we desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one” (Hebrews 11:10,16).
From an earthly/political point of view, sometimes God allows nations and people to separate in order to hinder sin in this world. Secessions from the Union might be in America’s future. Not only will ungodly people be unable to maintain unity, but righteous people eventually practice civil disobedience by voting with their feet.
After covering some Scriptural examples of secession, I explain some principles for when and when not to secede.
Scriptures Referenced: I Kings 12:16, 24; Genesis 11; Exodus 5:4-5; Matthew 10:14,23; Ezekiel 20:36, 38; 1 Corinthians 5:9-10; John 17:15,18; Matthew 13:28-30, 38
Similar Programs on the Topic of Christian Activism
- #190 America is Gone! Let's Quit?
- #555 (Video 218) Democrats, Republicans, and The Christians
- YouTube #95 – Does Evangelical Support for Trump Damage the Gospel?
- YouTube #151 – The Theology of Overthrowing Government
- #238 You Will Be Made to Care - Book Review
- #280 The Syrian Refugee Crisis
- #117 The Message of Judgment
- #240 Boycotts
- #38 Conservative Talk Radio
- #114 The Freedom Rally