Program #186 “Civil Disobedience 2 – More on Leaving” – 5/24/2015 – Synopsis
Program #186 finishes up some loose ends on the subject of “leaving.” As Jesus explained, “Whoever does not receive you, nor heed your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet” (Mt. 10:14). There are times when the best way to promote righteousness in the land is to remove your support, presence and patronage.
After some initial discussion, I share four benefits in leaving: (1) Leaving spreads the Gospel, (2) Leaving protects God’s people, (3) Leaving motivates unbelievers to come God, and (4) Leaving is sometimes necessary for personal holiness.
I conclude with the disclaimer that the principle of leaving does not mean running from trials and difficulties – as if we should all look for greener grass. Paul knew bonds and afflictions awaited him in every city, but that did not keep him from his mission work. Nevertheless, when a city or people group rejected the truth, Paul moved on to the next city. The criterion is not hardship but receptivity.
Scriptures Referenced: Jeremiah 5:29; Matthew 10:23; 1 Kings 18:4; Hebrews 11:37-38; Isaiah 26:20; Revelation 18:4; Matthew 10:14; 2 Peter 2:9; Luke 15; Acts 20:23
Similar Programs on the Topic of Civil Disobedience
- YouTube #151 – The Theology of Overthrowing Government
- #189 Civil Disobedience #5 Speak Up
- #187 Civil Disobedience #3 - What Can the Righteous Do?
- 516 (Video 183) – The Vaccine Mandate
- #188 Civil Disobedience #4 Bake Me a Cake or Else
- Radio Program #482 – The Theology of Overthrowing Government
- #55 Civil Disobedience
- #185 Civil Disobedience #1 - Leaving