Synopsis #55 –Civil disobedience – May 8, 2011
Was Dietrich Bonhoeffer right in plotting to assassinate Hitler? Was John Brown, the 1860s Abolitionists, right in raiding the armory at Harper’s Ferry? When is it right for American citizens to exercises their second amendment rights and defend themselves against unconstitutional government? “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing,” but what is the good thing we must do?
Program #55 answers the question of Civil Disobedience. This program is a good resource to teach the Christians how to respond to aberrant government. You may know of someone who needs to hear this program because they are either too passive toward the evils in government, or they are too militant
Synopsis: Program #55
Discusses when Christians have the duty to disobey the state. This is called the doctrine of Civil Disobedience and it is categorized under the doctrines of Civil Government. Program #55 is to follow up and fill in the gaps of Program #52 “Civil Government.” The program begins by mentioning some misconceptions among those who pick up arms against the state. The Zealots in the time of Jesus are a prime example of civil disobedience gone awry. Confusing about Civil Disobedience stems from (1) Confusion over the differences in the requirements of the Old Covenant vs. the New Covenant, and confusion over the difference between the role of the individual and the role of the state. The program covers the following points:
1. The N.T. Emphasis is not civil disobedience but obedience to the powers that be.
2. Only the state has the right to the sword
3, You can sometimes follow the orders of lower magistrates
4. There are only certain laws of God that when violated, requires us to disobey the state
Scripture referenced: Acts 4:19-20; Judges 3; Mark 15:7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-17; Matthew 23:2-3; Dt. 17:12; Matthew 26:52; Judges 6; Romans 13:1-7; Romans 12:17-21; 1 Peter 2:19-23; Deuteronomy 28:36; 1 Samuel 26:8-11; Proverbs 24:11; Proverbs16:14; 1 Kings 18:4; Matthew 10:13-14,16-20
Similar Programs on the Topic of Civil Disobedience
- Radio Program #482 – The Theology of Overthrowing Government
- #186 Civil Disobedience #2 - More on Leaving
- #188 Civil Disobedience #4 Bake Me a Cake or Else
- #185 Civil Disobedience #1 - Leaving
- YouTube #151 – The Theology of Overthrowing Government
- #189 Civil Disobedience #5 Speak Up
- #187 Civil Disobedience #3 - What Can the Righteous Do?