Continuing this week in another issue subsumed under the Doctrines of Civil Government, I take on Jesus’ command in Matthew 5:39, “Do not resist evil.” Luther begins his Treatise on civil government, “Temporal Authority: To What Extent it Should Be Obeyed,” with his two Kingdom explanation for Matthew 5:39. I conclude by pointing out Luther’s tendency to be sloppy in his theological statements and the fallout from his perspectives on the church and state.
Similar Programs on the Topic of Doctrine of Civil Government
- YouTube #151 – The Theology of Overthrowing Government
- #264 Starting a New Country
- #97 Civil Government Lesson #1
- YouTube #78 – Frenchism vs. Ahmarism (Pluralism vs. God’s law)
- #247 Freedom of Religion Part 2
- YouTube #40 Honor the President
- #163 Titus 3
- #93 "When Vileness is Exalted"
- YouTube #73 - Do Not Resist Evil and The Two Kingdom Doctrine
- #179 The Romans 13 Controversy