Program #280 “The Syrian Refugee Crisis” – 3/12/2017– Synopsis
When is right to pick up arms to overthrow your king? Is it right to kill a fellow citizen to change a government from a monarchy to a democracy? If you lose your fight, what then?
In 2011, the Arab Spring motivated many Syrians to protest their government. After the government responded with force, the protestors believed they were justified in forming the Free Syrian Army and plunging the nation into civil war. It may sound like the American Revolution where the citizens want freedom from dictatorship – or is it the moral equivalent to the American Civil War where the rebels were the bad guys?
In this program, I explain the history of the Syrian Refugee Crisis, the doctrine of obedience to civil government, and how the rebels need to reconcile with their own nation rather than emigrating to the West for sympathy and sanctuary.
Scripture References: 1 Peter 2:13-17; Titus 3:1; 1 Samuel 26:9-10; Jeremiah 8:9; Matthew 5:23-25
Similar Programs on the Topic of Christian Activism
- #114 The Freedom Rally
- #117 The Message of Judgment
- YouTube #151 – The Theology of Overthrowing Government
- #96 Evangelical Pastors Civic Outreach
- #161 Politics or Conversion
- #163 Titus 3
- YouTube #2 - Christianity & Protests
- #555 (Video 218) Democrats, Republicans, and The Christians
- #94 "Watchmen on the Wall"
- YouTube #95 – Does Evangelical Support for Trump Damage the Gospel?